|Applications are open.|
|15 November 2019||Applications close. You will not be able to submit a nomination after 4pm. You will receive an automated acknowledgement email after you submit your nomination.|
|5 December 2019||Nominated young people will be asked to attend an interview in Narre Warren.|
|26 January 2020||We will hold an awards ceremony on Australia Day to recognise and celebrate the winners.|
Abut the tour
The Australia Day Study Tour (ADST) is a program for young people who have a particular interest in how the country is governed and may wish to pursue a career or further studies in the areas of community services/development politics or law.
The ADST involves 3 stages:
- A half-day and evening session at Local Government, which includes an introduction to the City of Casey and dinner with the Councillors
- A full-day visit to the State Government including a meeting with State Members of Parliament
- A 4-day trip to the Federal Government in Canberra which includes:
- a day at Parliament House
- meeting with Federal Members of Parliament
- visits to the High Court, Australian War Memorial, Government House, National Gallery of Australia and other significant and historical landmarks of Canberra.
You are eligible for the tour award if you:
- are a year 11 student, or 16 years of age by 30 April in the year of ADST, and attending school, living or working in the City of Casey
- are studying or exhibit an interest in Local, State or Federal Government, politics, law, community services/development or a related field
- preferably have not been on a school excursion or formal tour to Canberra in year 10 (or the year of selection)
- have parental/guardian consent and have a completed nomination form from their School Principal, Head of Educational Institute, or employer
- are available to attend all stages and meetings associated with the ADST.
Selection for the Study Tour is based on nominations from local schools and an interview with a selection panel. You can view the guidelines online.
How to apply
Selection for the ADST is based on nominations from local schools and an interview with a selection panel. To apply for the ADST, you must:
- Complete the Australia Day Study Tour Application form. This has a questionnaire you can use to explain your interests and future goals to the selection panel
- Ask your principal or employer to nominate you for the award using the Australia Day Study Tour Nomination form.
- Get consent from your parents or guardian to attend the study tour. Please ask them to sign the form.
Submit your application form
Submit your completed application and nomination forms no later than Friday 15 November 2019:
- via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- via post addressed to Kharie Murphy, Team Leader Youth Engagement
What happens next
- Nominated young people will be asked to attend an interview on Thursday 5 December 2019 in Narre Warren
- We will award the ADST to young people (usually 10) who are studying or exhibit an interest in Government, politics, law or a related field, are active in their community and who would benefit most
- The winners will be announced on Australia Day as part of the Australia Day Awards ceremony.