Skip to main content
We are working to address the impact of the storms on Tuesday 13 February.

Apply for a vehicle crossings permit

A ‘crossing’ refers to the legal point of entry into a property between the footpath and the street which provides vehicle access to the driveway.

Crossing diagram

It can also include any part of the kerb or footpath and is usually made from concrete.

Although a crossover is built over Council Land it is your responsibility as property owner to provide a properly constructed crossover where vehicles can access the property from a road. You are responsible for the construction, maintenance and cost of a crossover.

Please note: performing any works to a crossover without a permit is illegal and you may receive a fine.

Who can apply?

  • Owner of the property
  • The assigned agent of the owner of the property
  • The concreter hired by the owner of the property

How we assess applications

Each application is reviewed against our Vehicle Crossing Guidelines.


There is a non-refundable fee of $326 to apply for a crossover permit if you decide to proceed with the works once approved.

How to apply

Apply online

If you are unable to apply online, please complete the vehicle crossing permit application form.

You can submit the application form:

This form can be used to apply for requests including:

  • New crossovers
  • Widening existing crossovers
  • Parking bays on nature strips
  • Maintenance on existing crossovers
  • Constructing temporary crossovers
  • Crossovers in relation to town planning permits.

After applying online

  • A Council officer will conduct an onsite visit within 5 business days and assess your application.
  • The officer will contact you via phone to advise you of the outcome. 
  • If approved, an email link will be sent to you to make a payment for the permit. This payment link is only valid for 90 days.
  • After payment is made, you will receive your permit and drawings via email within 5 business days.
  • The permit includes drawings and specifications that outline the information you will need to ensure your concreter follows.
  • Once you receive your permit, you can instruct your concreter to “box-up” the crossover. Do not pour the concrete.
  • You will need to call Council on (03) 9705 5272 to request a pre-pour inspection when you are ready to pour the concrete. Two (2) business days' notice is required and bookings are subject to availability. For all general enquiries contact Council customer service on (03) 9705 5200
  • For a pre-pour inspection to be approved, the site must be fully prepared.
  • The Council officer will call you after the inspection, or they may discuss the outcome on site with the concreter.  
  • If the outcome is declined, the site will require a further inspection. Another business day notice is required for a second inspection.
  • If on the second inspection the site does not comply to the supplied plans, the permit will be cancelled and you will be required to reapply.
  • Once the pre-pour inspection is approved, you can pour the concrete.

Please Note:

  • You must not start any works until a permit is issued.
  • Once granted, the permit is valid for 12 months.
  • Conducting any works without a Council Permit is illegal and if you do so, you may receive an infringement notice.

Street trees

Where vehicle crossings are proposed within the Tree Protection Zone (TPZ) or three (3) metres whichever is greater, consideration will be given with regard to the volume of TPZ encroachment, tree retention value, replacement value and the opportunity for further tree planting within the nature strip as part of the assessment.

Conditions regarding vehicle crossing construction methodology may apply as part of permit approval. Where removal and/or replacement of a street(s) tree are approved, all associated costs are the responsibility of the applicant.

Road infrastructure clearances

The applicant must contact the appropriate Authority to obtain approval prior to submitting a vehicle crossing Application to Council. 

If any services are within one metre of the proposed vehicle crossing, you must obtain the appropriate service authority’s written permission stating the approved distance the vehicle crossing is allowed to be from their service for consideration of your application.

The applicant is responsible for the costs of any modification, relocation or removal of infrastructure required to facilitate a vehicle crossing to be constructed, altered, or removed.  

SECTION Measurement 
Drainage pits 0.75 metres (within 0.75 m - install Class D Pit Lid)
Pram crossing 2 metres - measured at kerb
Trees Tree Protection Zone (TPZ) or 3 m whichever is the greater
Intersections 6 metres from tangent point and clear of Splitter Island
Traffic management devices 1 metre

Utility service assets 
Water - hydrants and pits
Power - pits, poles and streetlights
Telecommunication - pits

1 metre
Streetlight 1 metre
Fire hydrant 1 metre
Legal point of discharge 1 metre
Minimum distance between non-abutting vehicle crossings 7 metres (measured along the kerb from the closest edge of the vehicle crossings. Abutting vehicle crossings adjoining properties is encouraged)


  • More than 1 vehicle crossing may be considered with respect to the objectives of Council’s guidelines.
  • Consideration to reduce the width to a minimum of 3 metres or increase to a maximum of 5.5 metres may be considered with respect to protection of assets and availability of street parking and must be approved by Councils Asset Permits and Consent Team.
  • For commercial properties, the width will be determined in accordance with relevant VPA EDCM Standard Drawings and to the satisfaction of Councils Asset Permits and Consent Team.
  • Clear sightlines of the new vehicle crossing must be achieved and will be determined in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards to the satisfaction of the Responsible Authority.
  • Council aims to enhance and maintain streetscapes. Vehicle crossings are to be constructed in a material and shape consistent with the overall appearance of the streetscape.
  • Approval may be granted for applications not complying with these guidelines.  Requests for special consideration and exemptions may require further investigation. Should there be costs associated with these investigations, they are to be paid by the applicant. 

Have you found the information you were looking for?