Skip to main content
We are working to address the impact of the storms on Tuesday 13 February.

Apply to trade on Council footpaths

Footpath Trading Permits

You need to apply for a street trading permit, if you want to:

  • provide alfresco dining as part of your restaurant
  • put up A-frame or other signs for your business
  • sell goods on the footpath or nature strip.

Apply for a Footpath / Outdoor Trading - Sign Permit through one of our online forms:

Foothpath/ Outdoor Trading - A-Frame Sign Only Permit

Foothpath/ Outdoor Trading - Dining / Goods/ Sign Permit

You may also need to apply with VicRoads

While we maintain some roads in Casey, some are under the control of VicRoads. If you want to conduct business on a VicRoads controlled road, you must apply with them before you apply for a Council permit.

To check if the street or public place is Council owned, you can:

If you are serving or selling food or alcohol

If your business sells food, you must make sure you have a food business registration. If you are selling or serving alcohol, you must make sure you have a valid liquor licence.

You must have public liability insurance

You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $20 million to receive a permit. The permit must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:

Obligation to Insure

The Permit Holder shall at all times during the agreed Term, be the holder of a current Public Liability Policy of Insurance (“The Public Liability Policy”) in respect of the activities specified herein in the name of the Permit Holder providing coverage for a minimum sum of $20M (or more). The Public Liability Policy shall cover such risks and be subject only to such conditions and exclusions as are approved by the Council and shall extend to cover the Council in respect to claims for personal injury or property damage arising out of the negligence of the Permit holder.

Council's indemnity

The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holders performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder.

The Permit Holders liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act or omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.

You must provide a site plan that meets the permit conditions

We will only approve a permit if your footpath trading meets the permit conditions. These conditions are designed to make sure the footpath remains safe and usable for pedestrians. You must provide a site plan that illustrates how you will use Council's footpath or nature strip. Your site plan must show how you will meet the conditions of the permit. 

Photographs and/or brochures may also be submitted to support your application.

Use our template to draw a site plan

You must provide a site plan that illustrates how you will use Council's footpath or nature strip. Your site plan must show how you will meet the conditions of the permit. The application form has a template which you can complete and submit.


Application fee

The application fee and permit fee are both payable at time of application for once off placements and new annual permits.

Permit fee will be refunded if your application is unsuccessful. Permit fees are payable annually and are subject to change.

New annual permit 

Application fee:
$138 (non-refundable)
Permit fee for structures: $138 each (e.g. A-frames, heater, umbrella, shelves, etc)
Permit fee for seats for outdoor dining: $34.50 each

Apply for a permit

The permit application must be received 14 days before the date the permit is needed for.

Submit your application

Submit your application form and payment:

What happens next

  • We will consider your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
  • We may need to arrange an inspection of your premises. We will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
  • If the inspection is satisfactory, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.
  • In most cases additional permit fees apply. If your permit is approved, we will send you an invoice for the permit fees. After you pay this invoice, we will issue your permit.

Renew your permit

  • All permits are valid for 12 months. Ongoing customers are issued with a permit renewal notice and invoiced approximately 30 days prior to the expiration of their existing permit.

You cannot transfer your permit

Permits cannot be transferred if a business has been sold. If you have recently purchased a business that had a street trading permit, you must apply for a new permit.

Have you found the information you were looking for?