Apply to run a highway collection | City of Casey
Skip to main content

Apply to run a highway collection

You must have public liability insurance

You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $10 million to run a highway collection. You are required to have public liability insurance regardless of whether the road is managed by Council or VicRoads.

The insurance must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:

The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the City of Casey (the Council), its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holder's performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder. The Permit Holder's liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that an act of omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.

Register with Consumer Affairs Victoria

You may need to register as a fundraising organisation through Consumer Affairs Victoria if you will be raising more than $10,000.

Collecting on a VicRoads roads or intersection

Many major roads and highways are managed by VicRoads. If you want to organise a street collection on a road not managed by Council, you will need permission from both Council and Victoria Police

1. Get written approval from Council

Submit a written request at least 6 weeks before your planned collection that details:

  • time and date of your collection
  • location
  • copy of your public liability insurance

You can submit your request:

If Council is happy with your proposal, we will provide you with a letter of no objection.

2. Apply for permission from Victoria Police

If you receive a letter of no objection from Council, you must then apply for a highway collection permit from Victoria Police. You must apply at least 1 month before your planned collection date.

Collecting on a Council road or intersection

Provide a site plan

You must provide a site plan that illustrates where your activity will take place in relation to the intersection. The application form has a template which you must complete and submit.

Application fee

You must pay a non-refundable application fee of $115.

How to apply

To apply to run a highway collection on a Council road, please complete the relevant sections of the Public Land Use Permit Application form.

If you wish to pay by credit card, please also complete a credit card authorisation form.

Please submit the completed application form and Certificate of Public Liability Insurance to us:

What happens next

  • We will consider your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
  • If the inspection is satisfactory, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.