Skip to main content

Apply for roadside trading

You need to apply for a street trading permit, if you want to:

  • operate a food van or truck from the side of a Council road
  • operate a flower van from the side of a Council road

You may also need to apply with VicRoads

While we maintain some roads in Casey, some are under the control of VicRoads. If you want to conduct business on a VicRoads controlled road, you must apply with them before you apply for a Council permit.

To check if the road or public place is Council owned, you can:

Where you may trade

You cannot trade within 1 km of any similar type businesses.

If you are serving or selling food

If your business sells food, you must make sure you have a food business registration.

You must have public liability insurance

You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $20 million to receive a permit. The permit must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:

Obligation to Insure

The Permit Holder shall at all times during the agreed Term, be the holder of a current Public Liability Policy of Insurance (“The Public Liability Policy”) in respect of the activities specified herein in the name of the Permit Holder providing coverage for a minimum sum of $20M (or more). The Public Liability Policy shall cover such risks and be subject only to such conditions and exclusions as are approved by the Council and shall extend to cover the Council in respect to claims for personal injury or property damage arising out of the negligence of the Permit holder.

Council's indemnity

The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holders performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder.

The Permit Holders liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act or omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.


Application fee

There is a $138 non-refundable application fee for each application.

Trading fee

If your permit application is successful, you must pay a fee based on other conditions:

Footpath Trading 

  • Seats: $33.75 each
  • Structures: $135 each (e.g. heater, umbrella, shelves, etc)

Roadside Trading 

  • 1 Year $10,800
  • Trading on VicRoads land $3,080

If you are applying for a permit to trade for less than one year, the fees will be calculated pro-rata based on the duration of the permit.

If you only wish to trade for 1 day, it is considered a week. If you want to trade on different non-sequential days, you must pay accordingly. For example, if you wish to trade on Valentine's Day, Christmas Day and Mother's Day, you must pay for 3 weeks.

Apply for a permit

Permit application must be received 14 days before the date the permit is needed for.

Submit your application

Submit your application form and payment:

What happens next

  • We will consider your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
  • We may need to arrange an inspection of where you plan to set up. We will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
  • If the inspection is satisfactory, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.
  • In most cases additional permit fees apply. If your permit is approved, we will send you an invoice for the permit fees. After you pay this invoice, we will issue your permit.

Renew your permit

  • All permits are valid for 12 months. Ongoing customers are issued with a permit renewal notice and invoiced approximately 30 days prior to the expiration of their existing permit.

You cannot transfer your permit

Permits cannot be transferred if a business has been sold. If you have recently purchased a business that had a street trading permit, you must apply for a new permit.

Have you found the information you were looking for?