You will need to apply for a street trading permit, if you want to:
- hold a market on Council land
- hold a car boot sale on Council land
You may also need to apply with VicRoads
While we maintain some roads in Casey, some are under the control of VicRoads. If you want to conduct business on a VicRoads controlled road, you must apply with them before you apply for a Council permit.
To check if the street or public place is Council owned, you can:
If you are serving or selling food or alcohol
You must have public liability insurance
You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $10 million to receive a permit. The permit must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:
The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the City of Casey (the Council), its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holder's performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder. The Permit Holder's liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that an act of omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.
There is a $115 non-refundable application fee for each application.
Apply for a permit
To apply for a permit, please complete the relevant sections of the Street Trading Permit Application Form.
If you wish to pay by credit card, please also complete a Credit Card Authorisation Form.
You can submit your completed application:
What happens next
- We will consider your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
- We may need to arrange an inspection of your premises. We will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
- If the inspection is satisfactory, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.
- In most cases additional permit fees apply. If your permit is approved you will be sent an invoice for the permit fees. When the fees are paid in full your permit will be issued.
Renew your permit
All permits are valid for 12 months. It is your responsibility to renew your permit when it is about to expire. To renew your permit, please contact us.
You cannot transfer your permit
Permits cannot be transferred if a business has been sold. If you have recently purchased a business that had a street trading permit, you must apply for a new permit.