You must have public liability insurance
You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum of $10 million to receive a permit.
The permit must be held in the name of the applicant and contain the following clause:
The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the City of Casey (the Council), its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holder's performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder. The Permit Holder's liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that an act of omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.
We can provide you with insurance
If you do not have insurance, we can arrange it for you for an additional $50.
This insurance will cover you and other users of the park or reserve in case of damage or injury. Please contact us for more information.
Flying your aircraft safely
You must fly your aircraft in a safe and controlled manner at all times. You must also:
- fly between 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays
- fly between 10am to 6pm on weekends and public holidays
- limit flying time to 2 hours before 12pm and 2 hours after 12pm
- fly at least 30m away from people, buildings or playgrounds
- fly less than 65m above the lowest level of the reserve
- ensure your aircraft produces less than 98db of noise
- wear a hard hat at all times when flying the aircraft
- have the permit on you at all times
Flying a drone
You do not need a Council permit to fly your drone. There are rules around how and when you can fly your drone. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) also has a mobile application that helps you understand where you can fly your drone.
If you have a large drone or want to fly for commercial reasons, you may need a certification from CASA.
There is a $120 non-refundable application fee for each application.
How to apply
To apply to fly your model aircraft in a Council park or reserve, please complete a Fly a Model Aircraft in a Municipal Reserve Application form.
If you wish to pay by credit card, please also complete a Credit Card Authorisation Form.
Please submit the completed application form to us:
What happens next
- We will consider your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
- If the inspection is satisfactory, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.