Skip to main content
We are working to address the impact of the storms on Tuesday 13 February.

Apply to display real estate signs

You must apply for a Real Estate A-Frame Permit to display a sign at an open-for-inspection or auction.

Conditions of displaying signs

  • Council allows free-standing (e.g. A-Frame) signs that are no bigger than 900mm x 600mm (90 cm x 60cm). Council does not allow any other temporary open-for-inspection or auction signs on public land. This includes signage secured into public property (i.e. staked into the ground).
  • You can display signs only on the day of the open inspection or auction. You must remove signs within an hour of the inspection or auction closing.
  • The sign must display the open inspection/auction start and finish times.
  • Council permits 3 signs per property.
  • You may place signs in the following positions:
    • One sign on the nature strip at each end of the roadway. They must be where the open inspection is located.
    • One sign between the front boundary and the property open for inspection. Any signs next to the kerb must be placed in a safe position. They must not hinder or endanger the safety of the public.
  • You don't need a permit for signs like banners or flags placed on the property. Please ensure they do not obstruct the footpath or hinder or endanger the safety of the public.
  • You must follow any rules, relevant legislation and Local Laws.
  • You must follow any instruction given by an authorised officer of Council on the placement of permitted signs.

You must have public liability insurance

You must hold public liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $20 million. The policy must be held in the name of the applicant. It must list City of Casey as an interested party. It must also have this clause:

Obligation to Insure

The Permit Holder shall at all times during the agreed Term, be the holder of a current Public Liability Policy of Insurance ("The Public Liability Policy") in respect of the activities specified herein in the name of the Permit Holder providing coverage for a minimum sum of $20M (or more). The Public Liability Policy shall cover such risks and be subject only to such conditions and exclusions as are approved by the Council and shall extend to cover the Council in respect to claims for personal injury or property damage arising out of the negligence of the Permit holder.

Council's indemnity

The Permit Holder agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified, the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from and against all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, in connection with the Permit Holders performance or purported performance of its obligations under this Permit and be directly related to the negligent acts, errors or omission of the Permit Holder.

The Permit Holders liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act or omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.

Apply for a Real Estate Signage Permit through our online form:

Real Estate Signage Permit


Application fee $138 (non-refundable)
Yearly permit $480
Single placement $140

You must pay both the application and permit fee when you apply. If your application is unsuccessful the permit fee will be refunded.

How to apply

To apply, complete the relevant sections of the Real Estate A-Frame Signage Application Form.

 Permit application must be received 14 days before the date the permit is needed for.

Submit your application

Submit your application form and payment:

What happens next

  • We will review your application. If we need more information, we will contact you.
  • If the inspection passes, we will approve your permit within 7 business days.

Renew your permit

  • All permits are valid for 12 months. Ongoing customers are issued with a permit renewal notice and invoiced approximately 30 days prior to the expiration of their existing permit.

Transferring your permits

Permits cannot be transferred if a business has been sold. If you have recently purchased a business that had a street trading permit, you must apply for a new permit.

Have you found the information you were looking for?