Aspects to take into account when considering installing solar panels on a residential property.
1. A building permit is not required for this work.
2. Solar Panels should be installed by a qualified Registered Electrician.
3. Recommendation that a Structural Engineer, Registered Builder or Building Surveyor confirms that the roof can hold the extra weight of the panels.
4. The title or plan of subdivision should be checked for covenants or similar agreements which may govern or restrict solar panels.
5. The structure cannot contravene any Planning requirements. Check with the Planning Department and/or the Planning Scheme. A Planning Permit may be required.
6. Make sure you obtain a warranty for the product and installation and that you are covered by incidentals’ such as damage to your roof by the installer.