Legal point of stormwater discharge

The legal point of discharge is a point specified by Council where stormwater from a property must be discharged.

The legal point of discharge is usually to a Council managed drain or the street kerb and channel.

A legal point of discharge report from Council is usually required when applying for a building permit.

Application form

Please complete the application form to obtain a legal point of discharge report from Council:

Application Form - Location of Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge (256kb)

Completed forms can be submitted to City of Casey Customer Service or via email to:


Information for applicants

  • The legal point of discharge report will show the point where stormwater from a property must be discharged and details of the Council drains within the property (where information is available).
  • An additional application must be submitted for details of Council drains located on an adjacent property (fees are payable for each application).
  • The report will not show the location of any internal property drainage.
  • Verbal legal point of discharge advice will not be provided.
  • The location of underground services, including Council drains, can be obtained free of charge from Dial Before You Dig.
  • The Council drain details are a guide only and Council records may not show as-constructed conditions. The applicant must check the size, depth and offset of the Council drain on site. The applicant must make sure the Council drain is not damaged by the proposed development or works.
  • Building over an easement requires approval from Council.
  • Works in the road reserve require a Road Opening Permit.