Registration information for dogs and cats
The form below is for registration of new dogs and cats within the City of Casey. Once you complete the form and return it to the City of Casey with your payment, identification tags will be mailed to you.
Registration Form for Dogs and Cats
Please note: All animals must be microchipped prior to being registered.
The Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires the owner of any cat or dog of 3 months of age or over to be registered with the Council in which the pet is kept. This law applies throughout Victoria.
Registering your dog and cat is a safeguard against losing your pet if it becomes lost.
In addition, your registration fees help provide important pet related services within the City of Casey such as animal control and community education about responsible pet ownership.
Benefits of Registering your Pet
Whilst it is a requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 to register your dog or cat, there are many benefits to registering with the City of Casey. Your registration fee contributes to the following services:
- Provision of conveniently located animal pound services
- Daily updating of the City of Casey Lost Pets Register
- Re-uniting lost pets with their families in up to 68% of cases
- Collection of lost and wandering pets, including 24 hour service during peak periods ie. Xmas Eve/Day and New Years Eve/Day
- Provision of cat cages for hire, to trap feral or wandering cats
- Investigation and potential prosecution of dog attacks in private and public places
- Regulation of Domestic Animal Businesses (pet shops and breeders) to ensure dogs and cats sold in Casey are healthy, well looked after and meet mandatory microchipping requirements
- Investigation and potential prosecution of alleged “puppy farms” and animal cruelty cases
- Monitoring and regulation of restricted breed, declared dangerous and menacing dogs to ensure the safety of the Casey community
- Investigation of reports to the State Government’s Dangerous Dog Hotline
- Regular events including discounted micro-chipping days
When you register your pet, the City of Casey will automatically give you a numbered registration tag. The tag is required to be on the dog or cat when the animal is outside the owner's premises.
Please remove old registration tags from your pets' collar and put the current paid registration tag on its collar.
It is also a good idea for your pet to wear a separate ID tag with its name, phone number and address, so neighbours and passersby can easily return your pet if it escapes from your property.
Dog and Cat Cancellation of Registration
The following registration form is to be filled in and returned to council if the following apply:
- Animal Deceased
- Animal no longer at the address and has moved out of the City of Casey
Download the Dog and Cat Cancellation of Registration