City of Casey Youth Services facilitates an annual Men’s Mentor Breakfast. Support is also provided to volunteers from Girl Guides Victoria and Women of Note who facilitate an annual Women’s Mentor Breakfast.
These events provide an opportunity for young people in year 11 (or age equivalent) to connect with positive male or female role models, who are successful or leaders in their chosen career. The breakfast also provides an opportunity for young people to hear from a motivational speaker.
Both the breakfasts are free for the young people as they are sponsored by the mentors/community leaders who attend. Invitations are sent to all secondary schools in the City of Casey.
Mentoring has been proven to provide a number of benefits to mentors and young people who take part. These benefits include:
- Providing positive role models to young people
- Providing a chance for young people to talk with a male/female role model from outside their "normal" circle of contacts, who can provide a different perspective
- Providing a new experience for both the mentor and young person
- Providing an opportunity for mentors to engage with young people in their communities and learn about contemporary youth issues, and
- Providing an opportunity for mentors to network with other men/women in the community.
Who Will Be Mentored?
Year 11 students or equivalent from secondary schools in the City of Casey, local regional Colleges or Learning Centres.
Responsibilities of Mentors
- Provide a positive role model by engaging with the young people in a friendly non-threatening way
- Sponsor the young person's attendance at the breakfast
- Interact and have fun at the breakfast
The Mentor Breakfasts are envisaged to be a one off opportunity to spend the morning with a matched young person. It is not expected that mentors will have additional contact with the young person unless agreed to by parents or carers.
- Women’s Mentor Breakfast: Friday 22 March 2013
- Men’s Mentor Breakfast: Friday 23 August 2013
Men’s Mentor Breakfast 2013 Guest Speaker: Max Walker AO
Highly regarded speaker Max Walker AO will be a highlight of this year’s breakfast. Be entertained and inspired by this incredible man who has achieved so much success across a range of unique careers:
- Former AFL footballer and cricketer
- Trained and practiced architect
- Hands-on director of four companies
- Author of 14 books with sales in excess of a million copies
- Host of more than 3,000 hours of live television
- Member of the Order of Australia
Men’s Mentor Breakfast Information will be sent to secondary colleges in mid-June, and registrations will close on Monday 12 August 2013.
Student Information and Registration
Mentors Information and Registration
For further information contact Casey's Youth Events Officer.
Youth Services Mission Statement
Youth Services will work in partnership with young people, families and the community to support and encourage young people to reach their full potential.