Council unveils revised arterial road advocacy priorities: Issued 14 August 2012
MEDIA RELEASE: 14 August 2012
The City of Casey has endorsed a revised arterial road priority listing which it will use to lobby the State Government for urgent arterial road improvements in Casey.
Council has welcomed the State Government’s funding announcement for the Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road duplication from Pound Road to Thompsons Road, but is urgently seeking the upgrade of several more arterial roads and intersections.
City of Casey Mayor Cr Sam Aziz said ‘The improvement of arterial roads is Council’s number one advocacy priority.
‘Casey faces numerous transport challenges including a pressing need to ensure that its arterial roads can cope with the municipality’s increasing population’.
In the past 50 years, the City of Casey has transformed from a rural area to a thriving municipality with a population of more than 253,000 people – with 120 new residents currently moving in each week.
‘The arterial roads have not kept pace with this rapid development’, Cr Aziz said.
City of Casey Manager Transport Paul Hamilton said ‘Hallam Road in Hampton Park, from Ormond Road to the South Gippsland Highway, has once again been identified as one of Council’s highest arterial road priorities.
‘Council has identified this stretch of road as a priority, as the duplication would also address the safety and operational issues at the Hallam Road/South Gippsland Highway/Evans Road intersection and allow Evans Road to be opened up as a new arterial link’, said Mr Hamilton.
Each year, VicRoads seeks projects for consideration under its annual roads program.
Council has endorsed its 2012-13 arterial road and intersection advocacy priorities, and is calling on the State Government, through VicRoads, for urgent upgrades.
‘The State Government needs to take action to deliver a more efficient and stressfree commute for Casey’s residents’, added Cr Aziz.
For further information, visit www.casey.vic.gov.au/transportadvocacycampaign/.
Council’s 2012-13 priority listing
Arterial road duplications/upgrades
- Hallam Road (Ormond Road to South Gippsland Highway)
- Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road (Thompsons Road to South Gippsland Highway)
- Thompsons Road (South Gippsland Highway to Western Port Highway)
- Hallam Road (Princes Highway to Pound Road)
- Sladen Street (Codrington Street to Cameron Street)
- Narre Warren North Road – Belgrave Hallam Road (Ernst Wanke Road to Heatherton Road)
Arterial road intersection upgrades
- South Gippsland Highway/Hallam Road/Evans Road
- Thompsons Road/Western Port Highway
- Pound Road/Shrives Road
- Clyde Road/Greaves Road
- Princes Freeway/Clyde Road
- South Gippsland Highway/Clyde Fiveways Road
- Heatherton Road/Hallam Road
- Hall Road/Western Port Highway
Freeway upgrades (east – west capacity improvements)
- Monash Freeway – Princes Freeway (South Gippsland Freeway merge to Beaconsfield)
Arterial road connections
- Southern Dandenong Bypass extension (South Gippsland Highway to South Gippsland Freeway)
- Princes Highway/South Gippsland Freeway interchange (third lane or southeast ramp)
- Cranbourne Bypass