Temporary and mobile food premises

What are temporary and mobile premises?

Temporary food premises: are stalls, tents or marquees (or any other structure that is not permanently fixed to a site) from which food is sold or handled for sale, such as a cake stall at a market or festival.  

Mobile food premises: are vehicles such as vans, trailers or carts from which food is sold, such as food trucks and coffee vans.

Community groups fundraising events: such as selling food at fetes and sporting clubs. They must also meet the regulations and comply with the Food Act 1984. The Department of Health and Human Services website contains more information, advice and assistance for community groups organising food fundraisers, including a short video to help community groups understand and meet their food safety obligations.

Water carts, food vending machines and sausage sizzles are considered temporary or mobile premises. Please contact our Environmental Health team for more information.

Food classification

Temporary and mobile food premises are classified into class 2, 3 and 4. Further information regarding premises classification can be located at Food Safety Information.

How to register your temporary or mobile food business

To operate a temporary or mobile food premises, for example at a festival or market (in Victoria), you must register with Streatrader.

How to access Streatrader

  1. Log onto Streatrader to register online.
  2. Follow the step by step process.
  3. Application is then electronically lodged to council.
  4. An officer will process your request and may be in contact with you to arrange an inspection or gather further information.
  5. Once registered you can use Streatrader to lodge a SOT (statement of trade) with each Victorian council that you plan to operate within. Please allow a minimum of  5 working days before the commencement of trading. There is no fee to lodge a SOT, you can go back into Streatrader at any time to lodge new SOT's as new trading activities are planned.
  6. Please allow at least 21 days for the registration to be processed.

Road side trading permits

To conduct road side trading on Council land, please complete the Street Trading Form. For more information contact Council's Local Laws team.

Further information

For more information about temporary food premises: