The L2P Learner Driver Program is a joint partnership between the City of Casey and VicRoads that assists young learner drivers under 21 years of age, who are without access to a supervising driver and/or vehicle due to financial or family circumstances, achieve their minimum 120 hours of supervised driving experience prior to obtaining their licence.
To be eligible for the City of Casey L2P Learner Driver Mentor program, you:
- Must be a resident of the City of Casey
- Must be aged between 16 and under 21 years of age
- Must hold a current Learner's Permit
- Have significant barriers that prevent you from accessing a suitable supervising driver (i.e. parent, relative or significant other)
- Have significant barriers that prevent you from accessing a suitable vehicle to gain driving experience
- Be financially disadvantaged (i.e. applicant or parents/carers receiving Centrelink payments)
Please note: A submission of an application does not automatically guarantee a place in the program due to extensive waiting lists. Applicants will be contacted if/when a place becomes available.
Apply for the Learner Driver program
Learner drivers who wish to take part in the program are required to:
- Attend a meeting with the L2P Program Coordinator prior to being accepted into the program.
Please note: The program coordinator will only make contact when a place on the program becomes available.
Volunteer Mentor Drivers
As a volunteer mentor you have the ability to make a significant difference to a young person’s life by helping them develop safe driving habits.
The City of Casey is currently recruiting volunteer licenced drivers from the community to provide supervision for the Program.
- Must be 25 years and over, hold a full (non-Probationary) current Victorian driver's licence with a safe driving history
- Have the ability to work with young people from diverse backgrounds
- Have the ability to take on a coaching role rather than an instructing role
- Have time to commit to at least one driving practice session per week over a minimum of 6 months or longer if possible
- Are prepared to complete a 10 hour VicRoads Training program (program is run over 2 evenings and a half day Saturday or Sunday)
- Are willing to undergo the following checks:
- Working with Children Check - Working With Children Check
- National Police Check - Please visit this link – casey.nationalcrimecheck.com.au at your earliest convenience and have 100 points of original ID with you to complete the police check
- VicRoads Licence Check - (full driving history report). To order a Full Driving History Report you can order either online, in person at VicRoads or by calling 13 11 71 or visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. To order your report you will need your driver’s licence and a Visa or MasterCard (for online or phone orders).
Please note: The program includes the availability of a fully maintained and serviced vehicle which has been kindly donated for use by Berwick Motor Group Pty Ltd.
Apply to become a Volunteer Mentor Driver
Volunteer Mentor Drivers who wish to take part in the program are required to:
- Meet the required selection criteria
- Complete the Mentor Driver Application form:
- Participate in an interview with the Road Safety L2P Officer prior to being accepted as a Mentor
The administration and coordination of the L2P program will be overseen by the City of Casey with assistance from local volunteer drivers who participate in the role as mentor, driver and coach to the learner driver.
Proudly supported by
For further information, or to register your interest in volunteering for the program, please contact the Road Safety Project Officer on 9705 5200 or by email at email@example.com.