What you can expect from us
Council is committed to providing a high standard of customer service that is timely, accurate and accountable, and responsive to customer needs.
The Customer Service Charter outlines what customers can expect when dealing with Council and the level of service we aim to provide.
When you contact Council, we will:
- Greet you politely and identify ourselves by name.
- Answer your telephone call promptly.
- Treat you with respect and courtesy.
- Listen carefully to you, so that we may understand and respond to your needs appropriately.
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner.
- Take responsibility to assist you with your enquiry to the best of our ability.
- Provide choice in our delivery methods so that our services are accessible across the community.
- Keep you in the loop to inform you of the status of your request or enquiry and close the loop when the request or enquiry is complete.
There are a number of ways you can contact Council to make an enquiry, request a service or provide feedback.
||We will respond within 5 working days
||We will respond within 2 working days
||We will return telephone messages within the next working day
||We aim to resolve your enquiry immediately or if this is not possible we will advise you when you can expect a response.
If you have an enquiry about a complex issue like planning or building you may wish to make an appointment. This way we can ensure a specialist officer is available to discuss your issue.
||We will respond within 10 working days
Our Service Commitments provide timeframes for each of the services we provide from repairing footpaths to emptying bins to delivering home care services. View the Service Commitments.
Respecting your privacy
Your personal information will be handled in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and used for the specified purpose. You can access your personal information by contacting Council’s Privacy Officer on 9705 5200.
When we make a decision, we will:
- Consider all perspectives before reaching a decision.
- Make decisions that are consistent, fair and in line with Council policies, and relevant legislation.
- Explain the reasons for our decisions.
- Communicate our decisions, and respond with any further action in a timely manner.
Help us to help you
When you contact Council, please:
- Provide all relevant information to help us better assist you with your enquiry.
Feedback from you
- We welcome, at any time, comments or suggestions to help us improve our service to you. Additionally, we will:
- Monitor our performance constantly, and consult with our customers annually to help us better tailor our services to meet your needs.
- Review this charter as part of Council’s planning cycle, and consider your comments as part of the review.
Responding to your concerns
- Respond to your concerns as a matter of priority.
- If you feel that the service we have provided to you has not met the terms of this Customer Service Charter, you may lodge a complaint. Complaints can be submitted via the council website, email, post, in person, or over the phone. Further information on the Complaint Handling Procedure.
- We will audit every registered domestic animal business annually to ensure compliance with relevant codes of practice.
- We will initiate investigation into complaints of dog attacks against people or animals within 2 - 24 hours of a report being received.
- We will process new dog and cat registration applications within 5 working days of an application and payment being received.
Arts and Events
- We will issue notification of all permits and other requirements necessary to hold a community event in the municipality within ten (10) working days of receiving all information from applicant(s).
- We will provide the community a minimum of four (4) weeks’ notice for all Council managed community training and events.
- We will commence investigation for urgent maintenance requests for council buildings within 1 working day of a request.
- We will commence investigation for non-urgent maintenance requests for council buildings within 5 working days of a request.
- We will provide property information certificates within five (5) working days of an application being received.
- We will provide copies of building plans and permits within seven (7) working days of an application being received. Copies may not be available for properties over 40 years old.
- We will process applications for dispensations to building regulations within 15 statutory days of a complete application being received
- We will commence investigations into complaints/concerns relating to dangerous buildings and unfenced pools or spas within two (2) working days of a complaint being received.
- We will assess and initiate appropriate action for complaints/concerns relating to building works/matters within 10 working days
- We will remove/obliterate graffiti within 24 hours of receiving consent from the property owner or occupier.
- We will inspect and make safe dangerous footpaths within 20 working days of a report being received.
- We will inspect and provide advice on vehicle crossing enquiries within five (5) working days.
Drainage and Cleansing
- We will remove roadside rubbish and litter within 10 working days of a request being received.
- We will remove dead animals from Council roads and paths within one (1) working day of a report being received.
- We will investigate blocked council owned drains and pits within five (5) working days of a report being received.
- We will inspect and make safe missing or damaged pit lids within 24 hours of a report being received.
Early Parenting Support
- All first time parents will be invited to attend a first time parent group before their child reaches four (4) months of age.
- We will contact you to discuss your referral to early parenting support within three (3) working days of receipt.
- We will follow up with you within 10 working days with a phone call after your first early parenting support home visit.
- We will investigate public health nuisance concerns within 48 hours of notification.
- We will complete new health business registration applications and issue certificates of registration, within five (5) working days, following receipt of relevant documentation, payment of fees, and satisfactory inspection.
- We will collect discarded syringes in public places within two (2) hours of notification.
Family Day Care
- We will schedule your family to a Family Day Care appointment within five (5) working days of a request.
- We will provide you with contact details for up to three educators within five (5) working days of your enrolment.
- We will assess permits to burn within 10 working days of a request being received.
- We will undertake property inspections for fire hazard requests during the fire danger period within five (5) working days of notification.
- We will undertake property inspections for long grass requests during non-fire danger period within 10 working days of notification.
- Council minutes will be made available six (6) days after a Council meeting.
- We will process freedom of information requests within 45 calendar days from when all required information has been received.
Home and Community Care
- We will advise you if you are eligible for Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) services within three (3) working days and if eligible an assessment will be arranged with you.
- If we do not provide the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) services you require, you will be referred to other service providers within three (3) working days.
- If we are informed your circumstances have changed, we will contact you to discuss your Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) services within five (5) working days.
- In exceptional circumstances, Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) services assessed as urgent will commence within 1-3 working days.
- For Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) services assessed as non-urgent, we will contact you within five (5) working days to discuss your service commencement.
- We will provide written information about the kindergarten eligibility and enrolment process within ten (10) working days of a complete kindergarten enrolment application being received.
- We will initiate investigation into customer requests regarding unregistered or abandoned vehicles on public land within 10 working days of a request being made.
- We will initiate investigations into parking related concerns within 10 working days of a request being received.
Maternal and Child Health
- We will provide you, during your home visit, with a schedule of visits for your baby’s two (2), four (4), eight (8) week visits.
- We will contact you within 10 working days of your baby being born to make a time for a maternal and child health nurse to visit you in your home.
- We will investigate and action general parks maintenance (non-urgent) requests within 10 working days.
- We will attend to emergency playground requests within 24 hours of a report being received.
- We will investigate all high risk breaches of the planning controls within three (3) working days of a request being received.
- We will request further information on planning applications when required within 28 days of lodgement.
- We will process copies of rates notices within five (5) working days of a request being made.
- We will process standard Land Information Certificates within three (3) working days of an application being received.
- We will process urgent Land Information Certificates within one (1) working day of an application being received.
Residential Waste Services Hard Waste
- We will collect your hard waste within 6 days of the date provided to you at the time of booking.
Residential Waste Services Kerbside Bins
- We will replace missing or unrepairable bins within three (3) working days of request being received.
- We will provide bins to new residential properties within three (3) working days of occupation when notified by the resident or occupier.
- We will collect missed bin collections due to driver error within one (1) working day of report being received.
- We will inspect and repair pot holes on Council sealed roads within ten (10) working days of a report being received.
- Land owners eligible for Shared Cost Fencing will receive confirmation of the amount Council will contribute within ten (10) working days.
- We will assess drainage plans within ten (10) working days and notify you of the outcome in writing.
- We will provide standard Legal points of discharge information within five (5) working days of an application being received.
- We will refer subdivision applications for certification to external referral authorities within seven (7) days of lodgement.
- We will certify compliant applications within the 49 statutory days.
Traffic and Parking Management
- We will allow 21 days for residents and property owners to submit a response when consulting with the community on changes to parking restrictions.
- We will allow 21 days for residents and property owners to submit a response when consulting with the community on proposed Local Traffic Management Schemes.
- We will issue parking permits within five (5) working days of an application being received.
Trees and Horticulture
- We will attend to emergency tree requests on Council land within 24 hours of a report being received.
- We will investigate routine tree maintenance requests on Council Land within 10 working days of a request being received.
Youth Support and Counselling
- We will make contact within three (3) working days upon receipt of a referral to Youth Counselling and Support to discuss service availability and commencement details.
- We will make referrals to another service (as requested) within three (3) working days.