More people, more cars and more traffic

Issued Friday 3 November 2017

Image of road traffic
The City of Casey has called on the Victorian Government to prioritise work on Stage 2 of the Monash Freeway upgrade as a matter of urgency to accommodate for significant population growth.

Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade is due to be completed by the end of 2018, making room for an extra 2,000 vehicles, but Casey’s population growth alone will add almost 7,000 cars to the network by Stage 1 completion.

City of Casey Mayor, Cr Sam Aziz said while he welcomed the current work to increase capacity, the Victorian Government needed to capitalise on that good work and immediately commence Stage 2.

“When the State Government’s $400 million Stage 1 of the Monash Freeway Upgrade is complete it will already be under immense pressure,” he said.

“The Federal Government’s $500 million Stage 2 must urgently be fast-tracked to keep traffic moving.”

Last week’s release of 2016 census data revealed that the addition of cars to Casey’s roads is outpacing the municipality’s booming population growth.

The census results found there are almost 20 per cent more Casey commuters travelling to work by car than there were in 2011.

The Federal Government announced in April 2016 that they were giving the State Government $500 million to undertake Stage 2 of the Monash Upgrade.

Stage 2 involves the extension of O’Shea Road to the Beaconsfield interchange, the addition of ramps to the Pakenham side of the interchange and improvements to the freeway between the interchange and Cardinia Road.

Stage 2 upgrades were delayed until the completion of a business case by the State Government, which is due to be delivered by the end of this year.

On Thursday Cr Aziz visited the Beaconsfield interchange on the Monash Freeway accompanied by Federal Treasurer, Scott Morrison to see firsthand the urgency of the Monash upgrades and the importance of additional local works.

“It has been more than 570 days since the Federal Government announced it’s $500 million for vital works on the Monash Freeway and the extension of O’Shea Rd,” he said.

“Residents are rightly alarmed by the growth of cars on our roads - until the State Government can get this project started locals will continue losing out on jobs, services and time with their families.”

“The City of Casey and the Federal Government remain in lockstep on urgently delivering this much needed infrastructure and are determined to work with the State Government to see how we can get this project started.”