Issued Friday 1 December 2017
Winners of the 2017 Fresh Words Young Writers competition with City of Casey Councillors, Cr Damien Rosario, Cr Rosalie Crestani, Mayor Geoff Ablett, Cr Amanda Stapledon and Cr Timothy Jackson.
The City of Casey’s youngest word smiths have been recognised for their articulate talents when Council announced the winners of the 2017 Fresh Words Young Writers competition.
A ceremony was held in the Bunjil Place Studio on Wednesday 29 November, where City of Casey Mayor Cr Geoff Ablett welcomed and congratulated each of the applicants.
The competition creates an opportunity to celebrate and showcase the talents of some of Casey’s youngest citizens, while allowing them to express their ideas and creativity.
The Fresh Words Young Writers competition is open to students from grade five to year 12, and has three categories - Creative Writing, Poetry and Lyrics and English as an Additional Language.
Shortlisted entrants were invited to attend the award ceremony along with their teachers, families and City of Casey Councillors.
Judges assessed 28 entrant’s submissions and considered areas such as spelling and grammar, how well writers expressed their ideas, vocabulary, originality of their submission and presentation.
Council is proud to celebrate the talents and creativity of some of our youngest writers, and will continue to provide programs which support the development of the next generation.
The winners of the 2017 Fresh Words Young Writers competition are:
- Years 5 and 6: Matilda Cowburn, Casey Grammar School
- Years 7, 8 and 9: Teresa Che Ferry, Waverly Christian School
- Years 10, 11 and 12: Obed Wallis, Waverley Christian College
Poetry and Lyrics
- Years 5 and 6: Charli Ansell, Hillsmeade Primary School
- Years 7, 8 and 9: Asmetha Ashok Kumar, Nossal High School
- Years 10, 11 and 12: Riya Rajesh, Nossal High School
English as an Additional Language
- Years 5 and 6: Shea Li, Beaconhills College
- Years 7, 8 and 9: Yu Jia Cui, Beaconhills College
- Years 10, 11 and 12: Mariam Mostokly, Beaconhills College