History of the Casey Region
For many centuries before European settlement, the Casey district formed part of the territory of the Bunurong people and included the boundary with the Wurundjeri people to the north. The Nerre Nerre Warren (sic) Aboriginal Protectorate Station was established in Casey on the site of the 1837 Native Police Corps headquarters, in what is now the Police Paddocks in Endeavour Hills. It was one of the most important sites in the Melbourne area for Aboriginal-European interaction in the first years of the Port Phillip settlement.
Early European settlement occurred in the late 1830's, at much the same time as development began in Melbourne itself. Pastoral activities remained the focus of the district's activity for many years, with the first community societies and associations being established in 1850's. District Road Boards, formed by landholders and householders, were proclaimed in Cranbourne in 1860 and in Berwick two years later. The first Cranbourne and Berwick Shires were created in 1868, two months apart. The boundaries of the Cranbourne Shire remained unaltered, the Shire celebrating, its 125th anniversary in 1993. In April 1994, the City of Cranbourne was proclaimed by the Governor of Victoria, the Hon. Richard McGarvie.
The Shire of Berwick, however, underwent a number of changes due to the pressures of increasing development in the area. In 1970, the Berwick Shire Severance movement was formed to establish a new municipality in the urban section of the Shire. The City of Berwick, being constituted from the Shire's Berwick and Doveton ridings, was proclaimed in 1973.
In 1994, local government in Victoria was the focus of widespread reform with the amalgamation of 210 municipalities into 78. The City of Berwick was merged with the majority of the City of Cranbourne and a small part of the City of Knox to become the City of Casey. The City of Casey has been identified as one of Australia's key growth areas and will play a key role in Victoria's development.
History of Ward Names
The first property to be established in the southern section of the Municipality was Balla Balla, a run of 6,000 acres leased by Robert Innes Allan in 1839. " Allan's station " as it was known was a little to the South East of the later run of the same name. The lease was transferred to C.J. Haslewood in March 1848, and in 1850 the home run was merged into a new Balla Balla of 3,840 acres. The original homestead ( which today operates as a Red Poll Cattle Stud ) is located on the south side of Baxter Tooradin Road, approx. 1.5km west of Cannons Creek Road.
The property owned by Captain Robert Gardiner was originally named Melville Park and was renamed Edrington in 1910. The run covered the Berwick Village area and as far North as Harkaway. The house is located at 132 High Street, Berwick.
From the original homestead name on the Grassmere Estate which covered a large area including a considerable portion of Endeavour Hills. The house is located at 13 Cardigan Street, Endeavour Hills.
From a large property in the Cranbourne area which was originally 1,000 acres. On being subdivided, one of the farms became known as Mayfield Park. The first pasteurised milk in the Melbourne area was reputed to have been produced at the farm.
River Gum is named after the many river red gum trees which are a feature of the Hampton Park area. A row of significant river gum trees along Pound Road is protected under the Casey Planning Scheme.
The Springfield Homestead was reputedly built in C1855 and the land holding was originally known as "The Springs". It became known as Springfield in 1904, following subdivision and includes the Old Cheese Factory. Springfield is located at 34 Homestead Road, Berwick.
Wards in existance prior to the November 2005 Council Elections
The original property was owned by Sydney Webb and in 1902, after subdivision into 50 acre blocks, the residence "Araluen" was constructed and further added to in 1926. The homestead is located at 301-331 Narre Warren North Road, Narre Warren.
The site originally had an historic property, and is now known for its garden and trees. In the 1880's the property was owned by Sydney J. Webb, who was involved with opening of Narre Warren Station, the Primary School and the Mechanics Institute. The property is in Princes Highway, Narre Warren.
From the dairy farm holding which was established at the turn of the 20th century in the Doveton / Eumemmerring area. Myuna Farm is the only public community farm in South Eastern Melbourne and is open every day to the public. It is located at 182 Kidds Road, Doveton.
The site of Oatlands was originally a large property, dating from the 1840's. The homestead was built in the 1890's and is of regional significance. The homestead is located in The Elms, Narre Warren.
The homestead of Strathard has high local significance, having been owned by notable residents, especially Sydney Alexander Greaves and "Nana" Greaves in the 1930's and 1940's. The property is situated in Oldhome Court, Narre Warren South.