Casey Youth Services offers a wide variety of number of recreational and personal development programs for young people in Casey. The programs provide an opportunity for young people to explore recreational and personal development activities and are designed to improve young people’s connections with their peers, their family and the community. Programs may include sport, music, creative arts, leadership and support programs.
All City of Casey Youth Services programs are offered at no cost or low cost.
For more information about current programs please contact Youth Services on 9705 5200 or visit Youth Service’s Facebook page.
In School programs
In School programs are designed to improve young people’s connection to their peers, school, family and the community. Programs include topics such as self-esteem, alcohol and other drugs, sexual health and leadership. The programs are designed to help young people develop skills and knowledge for the achievement of personal goals.
For a list of In School programs contact Youth Services on 9705 5200.
Australia Day Study Tour
Australia Day Study Tour Awards are presented to young people in Year 11 or equivalent age who take a particular interest in how the country is governed, and may wish to pursue a career or further studies in the areas of politics or law. They have all demonstrated exceptional leadership qualities and are actively involved in their school and local communities. Selection for the Study Tour is based on nominations from local schools, and an interview with a selection panel.
The Study Tour comprises of three stages:
- A half day and evening session at Local Government, which includes an introduction to City of Casey and dinner with the Councillors.
- A full day visit to the State Government including a meeting with local State Members of Parliament.
- A four-day trip to the Federal Government in Canberra which includes a day at Parliament House, meeting with Federal Members of Parliament, visits to the High Court, National Gallery of Australia and other significant and historical landmarks of Canberra.
Spectrum Entertainment Committee
The City of Casey receives funding from the State Government to provide music and cultural events for young people aged 12-25 years, such as FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands, Fired UP! and Rock n Skate. The City of Casey, as a FReeZA provider, offers a number of live music events throughout the year. All events are fully supervised and drug, alcohol and smoke free. They are held at various venues across Casey and feature a variety of music styles so that there's something for everyone.
Spectrum Entertainment is Casey's FReeZA committee of young people aged 12 - 25 years who assist with the planning, organisation and delivery of Casey's FReeZA events.
To find out more contact the Youth Services team on 9705 5200.
Fired Up! Hip Hop Tournament 2016
Over 800 people enjoyed Fired Up! Hip Hop Tournament 2016 at the Berwick Church of Christ on Saturday 19 November 2016. The event provides an affordable and accessible dance competition for young amateur dancers with the opportunity to participate in a competition with other young people of a similar skill level.
Congratulations to all competitors and showcase performers:
- Winners of the Junior division are:
- 1st place - Urban Force Juniors
- 2nd place - A2D Studio Juniors
- 3rd place - Babysteps Minimites
- Winners of the Varsity Division are:
- 1st place - Urban Force Varsity
- 2nd place - Babysteps Varsity
- 3rd place - D-Works
- Winners of the Open Division are:
- 1st place - Urban Force
- 2nd place - Another One
- 3rd place - Nelly's Crew
Casey Youth Action Committee
Casey Youth Action Committee empowers young people as genuine leaders in their community. This is an opportunity for young people to:
- Deliver projects on the topics and issues which are important to you
- Develop your leadership skills and take part in leadership training
- Work with other like-minded and passionate young people
- Learn more about your community and local government
- Represent the views and ideas of young people and influence decision-making.
Applications for the 2017/2018 Casey Youth Action Committee are now open. To apply visit the Casey Youth Action Committee Application webpage.
For more information contact the Youth Services team on 9705 5200.
Tertiary Student Placement
Please note that applications for Tertiary Student Placements with The City of Casey Youth Services are now open and close 30 April 2017.
The Youth Services team offers occasional placements to tertiary students studying youth work or other related disciplines.
Tertiary student placements are defined as an official placement by a tertiary organisation as part of a course of study. Formal agreements will be entered into to outline each party’s responsibilities and requirements for successful completion of the student placement.
Successful negotiation of a tertiary student placement request is based on a number of factors that include:
- Staff availability / commitments and expertise to supervise a student
- Student requirements
- Tertiary institution requirements;
- Youth Services requirements;
- Information provided by the student to Youth Services;
- The number of requests received; and
- The ability of Youth Services to physically accommodate the student.
All requests for tertiary student placements with the Youth Services team are determined on a case by case basis. No preference is given to any particular tertiary institution or course of study.
To apply for Tertiary Student Placement, please complete the Expression of Interest Form by 30 April 2017.