Food premises registration

This information here should be read in conjunction with the ANZFA Food Standards Code Further information and/or advice may be obtained by contacting the City of Casey Environmental Health Team.

Registering new food premises

Before you apply for Registration you should contact the Licences and Registrations Business Victoria for information and application forms (where applicable) for all relevant approvals from all authorities. These could include local government, other government departments and agencies and water authorities.

  • Contact Small Business Victoria for business advice and information.
  • Contact the appropriate industry association for advice.
  • Contact one of the City of Casey’s Environmental Health Officers to discuss the proposal. The Food Standards Code and other relevant information is available from the Environmental Health Unit.

Applying for registration

  • Complete and submit an application for registration to the Environmental Health Officer together with the appropriate registration fee. Your application for registration will not be processed without accompanying payment of the prescribed fee.
  • A Food Safety Program may need to be submitted with the application for registration, depending on the class of your food premises. You should not commence construction work on your premises til you have received advice that your application for registration has been approved. Council's Environmental Health Officer may require the removal or changes to any construction work that has not been approved as part of your application for registration.
  • Obtain Environmental Health Officer approval to open. You must not commence operation until you 'are in possession' of a Certificate of Registration under the Food Act 1984.

The Australian standard for design, construction and fit-out of food premises (AS 4674-2004) also provides valuable information for many proprietors in designing their premises.

Food premises application forms