About Planning Scheme Amendments

Sometimes a planning scheme may need to be changed to reflect new circumstances or achieve new objectives. Changes to the scheme are known as amendments and the process for an amendment is set out in the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (the Act). An amendment may involve a change to a planning scheme map (such as a rezoning), a change to the written part of the scheme, or both.

How can a planning scheme be changed?

Councils can decide to amend a planning scheme to achieve a desirable planning outcome or to support a new policy direction. The process for changing a planning scheme must be followed exactly and involves anyone who may have an interest in the amendment, or be affected by it. 

Common amendments include:

  • Change of a zone to allow for a different use of the land; or
  • Introduction of a new Council Policy

Planning Scheme Amendments Online provides up to date information on the status of amendments to all planning schemes in Victoria and the Victoria Planning Provisions (VPP). It allows you to view amendment documentation at the exhibition and approval stages of the amendment process.

When applicable, recently approved amendments to the Casey Planning Scheme will be listed on the Planning Scheme Amendments – Approved page.

When applicable, amendments that are open for public comment will be listed on the Planning Scheme Amendments – On Exhibition page.

Can I apply to make a planning scheme amendment?

A planning scheme amendment can be a lengthy and expensive process. The Planning & Environment Act 1987 allows a fee to be set for amendments to planning schemes and a fee of $798 applies for just considering a formal request to amend the planning scheme.

Amendments can be:

  • C amendments (changes to the Casey Planning Scheme only)
  • VC amendments (changes to the VPP and Casey Planning Scheme)
  • V amendments (changes to the VPP only)

This Planning Scheme Amendment flowchart (72kb) should provide you with a general understanding of the Casey Planning Scheme amendment process and associated fees.

Anyone considering requesting an amendment is encouraged to contact the Planning Scheme Implementation team before submitting a formal request.

Further information about Planning Schemes and the Planning Scheme Amendment process can be obtained from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website.