Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD is at the very heart of the City of Casey and the broader sub-region it services. Long established as a major retail destination and civic centre; it is now transitioning into the next exciting growth phase. Over the next twenty years, with a strong focus on economic investment, job creation and residential growth, the CBD will mature into a truly diverse centre to serve the rapidly growing South East Growth Corridor.
Plan Melbourne identifies the Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD as one of 9 existing Metropolitan Activity Centres within Melbourne, recognising the importance of the Centre to South East Melbourne. The Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2016 was prepared to recognise this and to better facilitate high quality development in the Centre.
Proposed Amendment C224 has been prepared by the City of Casey.
What area does the amendment apply to?
The proposed amendment applies to the land in the Fountain Gate Narre Warren CBD and the adjoining residential precinct.
The amendment area of approximately 150 hectares is generally bounded by the Monash Freeway to the North and West, Princes Highway and Pakenham Railway Line to the south and Max Pawsey Reserve to the east and includes the Meadow Wood Walk residential precinct.
Proposed Future Urban Structure Plan
What changes are proposed under this amendment?
The amendment proposes to implement the Fountain Gate - Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2016 by rezoning the Narre Warren – Fountain Gate CBD from Priority Development Zone, Commercial 1 Zone, Commercial 2 Zone, General Residential Zone 1 and Public Use Zone 6 to Activity Centre Zone Schedule 2.
The amendment proposes to simplify the planning controls in the area by removing the existing Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Incorporated Plan, Priority Development Zone and Incorporated Plan Overlay Schedule 1 from the Planning Scheme and replacing it with the simplified Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2016 and the Activity Centre Zone Schedule 1. The amendment also proposes to update the Heritage Overlay mapping and incorporate the Brechin Gardens Incorporated Plan August 2017 into the Planning Scheme.
Specifically, the amendment seeks to make the following changes to the Casey Planning Scheme:
- Rezone the area to Activity Centre Zone Schedule 2 (Clause 37.08s2) titled “Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD” which includes five distinct precincts and implements the Fountain Gate - Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2016 as a reference document.
- Removing the existing Priority Development Zone (Clause 37.06s1)
- Remove the existing Incorporated Plan Overlay (43.03s1) and the “Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD Incorporated Plan 2013” as a reference document.
- Amending the Schedule to Clause 43.01 to update the entry under HO26, HO116, HO156 and HO196 and updating mapping and the incorporated plan with the “Brechin Gardens Incorporate Plan 2017”.
The amendment also seeks to make the following changes to:
- Amending Clause 21.01, 21.02, 21.03, 21.05, 21.24 and 21.25 of the Municipal Strategic Statement to update directions relating to the Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD Metropolitan Activity Centre.
- Amending Clause 22.01 - Retail Policy and Clause 22.04 – Advertising Signs Policy to update directions relating to the Fountain Gate-Narre Warren CBD Metropolitan Activity Centre.
- In Overlays – Clause 43.04, replace Schedule 15 with a new Schedule 15 to update references to the Fountain Gate Narre Warren Structure Plan 2016.
- In Overlays – Clause 45.06, replace Schedule 20 and 21 with a new Schedule 20 and 21 to update references to the amended zoning.
- Replacing the Schedule to Clause 61.03 with a new Schedule.
- Amending the Schedule to Clause 81 updating the incorporated plan with the “Brechin Gardens Incorporated Plan 2017” and removing the “Fountain Gate Narre Warren CBD Incorporated Plan (May 2013).
Where can you inspect the combined amendment and permit application?
Casey C224 Instructions and Explanatory Report (695kb)
Casey C224 New Activity Centre Zone (696kb)
Casey C224 Local Provisions (tracked changes) (2mb)
Casey C224 Overlays (tracked changes) (366kb)
Casey C224 Maps (803kb)
Casey C224 Brechin Gardens Incorporated Plan (88kb)
Casey - Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Structure Plan 2016 (4mb)
Casey – Fountain Gate – Narre Warren CBD Urban Design Principles Paper 2017 (2mb)
Casey – Fountain Gate – Brechin Gardens Conservation Plan 2016 (2mb)
You can view these documents in hardcopy during business hours, at the locations listed below:
City of Casey Bunjil Place
2 Patrick Northeast Drive
NARRE WARREN, VIC
City of Casey Customer Service Centre
Cranbourne Park Shopping Centre
Shop 156, South Gippsland Highway
The amendment can also be inspected online at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
How can I find out more?
Two drop-in information sessions will be held at:
2 Patrick North East Drive, Narre Warren
Date: 30 November 2017
Time: 4.00 pm - 8.00 pm
Location: Bunjil Place Library - Level 2 Meeting Rooms
This session will be focused on the retail and commercial aspects of the Activity Centre Planning.
Date: 7 December 2017
Time: 4.00 pm - 8.00 pm
Location: Bunjil Place
This session will be combined with Council Housing Strategy (Amendment C198) and will focus on the residential areas.
How can I submit feedback?
Any person who may be affected by the proposed amendment may make a submission to the City of Casey. Submissions about the amendment must be received by 19 December 2017. A submission must be sent to:
Team Leader - City Strategy
City of Casey
PO Box 1000
NARRE WARREN VIC 3805
or email: email@example.com
Panel Hearing Dates
In accordance with clause 4(2) of Ministerial Direction No.15 the following panel hearing dates have been set for this amendment:
- Directions hearing
During the week beginning 2 April 2018
- Panel Hearing
During the week commencing 30 April 2018.