An Occupancy permit is required to be obtained for a public entertainment conducted in a Place/Building as defined below.
A place of public entertainment is a building or place used or intended to be used for conducting public entertainment or a public meeting - being either of the following:
A public assembly building of more than 500m2 or
A place of more than 500m2, which may include the erection of a prescribed temporary structure being one of the following:
A seating stand for more than 20 persons
Public Entertainment means an entertainment or meeting to which admission may ordinarily be gained by members of the public.
Examples of Public Entertainment
- Grand Prix
- Cinema in the Park
- Community Fair / Show (eg Melbourne Show)
- Kids Carnival
- Community Cup
- Live Performances (e.g. rock concerts)
A siting of a temporary structure is required to be obtained prior to erection of any of the following structures:
The regulations exempt community-based organisations from the requirements of an occupancy permit for place of public entertainment, if
- The public entertainment is conducted in an outdoor recreational facility (e.g. football ground, park, reserves) greater than 500m2, and
- No temporary structures erected, and
- The number of persons in the place at any one time during the event or activity is less than 5000 persons.
For further information visit the VBA website.
Application for Occupancy Permit (Place of Public Entertainment) (386kb)
Credit Card Payment (Place of Public Entertainment) (203kb)
Application for Sitting Approval (389kb)
Credit Card Payment (Sitting Approval) (202kb)