Shared cost fencing

The Shared Cost Fencing Policy establishes that Council will share the cost of constructing, repairing or replacing the dividing fencing between private land and a property occupied by the Council.

All Fencing Contractors must complete a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) prior to beginning any fencing work. A purchase order will not be issued until a SWMS is received. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that a SWMS is provided with the application.

Application form

Shared Cost Fencing Application Form (334kb)

Shared Cost Fencing Application Form (164kb)

Information for applicants


If a resident requires ownership details of a property in the City of Casey for the purposes of building an adjoining fence, visit the Request for adjoining owners details webpage.

When will Council contribute?

The Fences Act 1968 requires Council to contribute to the cost of constructing, repairing or replacing the fencing abutting a property occupied by the Council.  The following properties are occupied by Council:

  • Council offices and customer service centres
  • Council-owned residential properties
  • Council works depot
  • Pre-schools and maternal and child health centres

Council does not occupy land that is open to the public at all times.  Council is therefore not required to contribute to the fencing abutting an open public reserve.  As such Council does not contribute to the cost of a fence when it abuts a:

  • Drainage reserve
  • Municipal and recreational reserve
  • Municipal car park
  • Playground
  • Road and right-of-way
  • Tree and plantation reserve
  • Walkway

Please contact Council to confirm whether your property is eligible for shared cost fencing.

Exemption for Pensioners’ Principal Place of Residence

Council will contribute half the reasonable cost of constructing, repairing or replacing the fencing abutting an open public reserve, excluding roads and right-of-ways, when the abutting private land is the principal place of residence of a homeowner eligible for the Municipal Rates Concession.

This exemption is provided in accordance with the resolution of Council at its meeting on 3 February 2015 (Item 6.4).

How much will Council contribute?

Council will typically contribute half of the reasonable cost of a 1.65 metre high timber paling fence unless a higher standard of fencing is required to meet Council's needs.

Can I construct a different style fence?

Council will consider requests to use alternate fencing materials such as pre-painted steel posts and sheeting on a case-by-case basis.

The private land owner will need to cover the additional cost of using an alternate fencing material where Council Officers deem that a standard timer paling fencing is adequate for Council's needs.

What is the process?

  • Step 1 - Contact Council to confirm your property is eligible for shared cost fencing.
  • Step 2 - Obtain quotes from fencing contractors and pick your preferred quote - obtain a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) from chosen fencing contractor (SWMS sample (295kb)).
  • Step 3 - Complete the application form and submit the preferred quote and signed Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) to Council.
  • Step 4 - Council will contact you to confirm your application has been approved and issue a purchase order to the fencing contractor for Council's share of the cost. A copy will be sent to both the fencing contractor and the applicant.
  • Step 5 - Arrange the construction date with your fencing contractor and notify Council.
  • Step 6 - When the fence is complete you should pay only your share of the cost to the contractor. The fencing contractor will invoice Council for our share of the cost.