City of Casey and Melbourne Football Club working together in the community
Victoria’s largest municipality, the City of Casey, and one of the oldest and greatest football clubs in the world, the Melbourne Football Club, are working together to jointly promote and showcase sporting opportunities and the benefits of an active lifestyle throughout Casey’s schools, sporting clubs and community groups.
A fresh approach
In June 2009, Council, Melbourne Football Club and the Casey Scorpions embarked on a 30-year partnership.
What is the partnership achieving?
The partnership has celebrated a number of successes. These include:
- MFC continues to deliver a comprehensive community partnership program in local schools, businesses and junior and senior sports clubs at an estimated value of more than $2.3 million per year
- Establishment, implementation and evaluation of the highly successful Read Like a Demon Program in 59 schools and libraries in the City of Casey
- Increase in membership in the City of Casey as more local supporters join the fan base
- Melbourne Football Club has been a proud sponsor of the Casey-Cardinia Breakfast Series and Casey Business Awards for the last three years
- A NAB Challenge match was held at Casey Fields in 2011 and an NAB Cup match in 2013
- The VFL pavilion at Casey Fields underwent a significant extension funded by Council, MFC, AFL and the State Government. The $2.1 million project was officially opened in April 2010 and provides an AFL-standard gym, physiotherapy area, warm-up room, change rooms and recovery space, including a state-of-the-art refrigerated spa.